Thursday, July 24, 2014

Reading Material


Someone told me today, "I'm kind of between books right now." I'm not entirely sure what that means so here's some of what I've been reading lately. Details after the jump...



Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth: warning–if you are expecting a book about a supremely intelligent child, you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you are intrigued by moody detailed art, sad family relationships, awkward people or even just highly regarded literary/artistic achievement in comics, then this is a book for you!

Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories: a book of fourteen short stories, some of which intertwine while others are more stand alone. There is a wonderful blend of the fantastical with the human that gives these stories a strong connection to real emotions even in their improbability.

The Grey King and Silver on the Tree: the last two books in a series of five by Susan Cooper. I began this series probably in grade 4 or 5 but never finished it. Well, now I can say I have! While it's marketed towards younger readers, older ones can definitely appreciate the magical stories and beautiful writing these books have to offer.

Asterios Polyp: I have to quote Neil Gaiman's review on Goodreads which sums up this book perfectly for me–"Really beautiful, smart and heart-touching story of an architecture professor who, when he is 50, learns better." It does some very cool things in the medium of comics as well. Graphic novels add yet another layer to a narrative that is able to convey information in such a poignant way-this one does it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment