Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wax On Wax Off

      My infatuation with encaustic began when my high school art teacher brought in her paints for the class to try out. I was immediately sucked in by the rich smells of the wax, the fluidity of the medium and the endless opportunities for ways of using the wax. From painting to embedding or even more sculptural works, encaustic is extremely versatile and can be used in just about any way. Because it must be fused, or melted, in between layers, encaustic tends to yield results that are often different from what is expected. But this is something beautiful about the medium, the unintended mistakes that result in new possibilities.


encaustic on panel, 2012

Because lately I have been working mostly with embedding objects or paper within the wax, I decided to try a more traditional painting approach with this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment